A head to head comparison of the 2008 Alaska General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.    

John McCain received 193,841 (59%) votes, beating Barack Obama who gained 123,594 (38%) by 70,247 votes in Alaska.

John McCain won 32 Congressional Districts whereas Barack Obama won 8 Congressional Districts in the total of the 40 Congressional Districts in the State of Alaska.

Presidential General Elections

During the 2008 General elections, over 131M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 69,448,278 (69.4 Million) over John McCain's 61,739,059 (61.7 Million). He won the popular vote by 7,709,219 (7.7 Million). Even though he lost to John McCain in the State of Alaska, his 123,594 votes represents 0.2% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.8% popular votes victory.

Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections

All Candidates (General Elections)

These 15 Congressional Districts play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the largest ones, it is still possible for other candidates to catch up, given all of them are of similar size.

Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections

General Elections
Barack Obama

General Elections
John McCain

Marginal wins for John McCain in more Congressional Districts than Barack Obama made him gain an upper hand in the State of Alaska.

Related References: 2016 Alaska Primary Election Story, 2016 Alaska General Election Story, 2020 Alaska Primary Election Story, 2020 Alaska General Election Story, 2012 Alaska General Election Story