A head to head comparison of the 2008 Connecticut General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Barack Obama received 1,000,291 (61%) votes, beating John McCain who gained 628,041 (38%) by 372,250 votes in Connecticut.
Barack Obama won all of the 8 counties that make up Connecticut whereas John McCain won none.
2008 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by Connecticut (CT)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2008 General elections, over 131M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 69,448,278 (69.4 Million) over John McCain's 61,739,059 (61.7 Million). He won the popular vote by 7,709,219 (7.7 Million). His victory in the State of Connecticut (with 1,000,291 votes) represents 1.4% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 98.6% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 8 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the largest counties (Hartford, Fairfield, New Haven), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Hartford, Fairfield and New Haven, three of the larger counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 292K vote advantage. This, combined with Barack Obama's wins at all of the other counties, was enough to give him an upper hand in the State of Connecticut.
Related References: 2016 Connecticut Primary Election Story, 2016 Connecticut General Election Story, 2020 Connecticut Primary Election Story, 2020 Connecticut General Election Story, 2012 Connecticut General Election Story