A head to head comparison of the 2008 Delaware General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Barack Obama received 255,459 (62%) votes, beating John McCain who gained 152,374 (37%) by 103,085 votes in Delaware.
Barack Obama won 2 counties whereas John McCain won 1 county in the total of the 3 counties in the State of Delaware.
2008 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by Delaware (DE)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2008 General elections, over 131M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 69,448,278 (69.4 Million) over John McCain's 61,739,059 (61.7 Million). He won the popular vote by 7,709,219 (7.7 Million). His victory in the State of Delaware (with 2,872,579 votes) represents 4.0% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 96.0% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 3 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the largest county (New Castle), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
New Castle and Kent, two of the larger counties voted in favor of Barack Obama, giving him a 110K vote advantage. John McCain's win at the county of Sussex gave him only a 7k vote advantage, which was far from enough to overcome that difference, making Barack Obama gain an upper hand in the State of Delaware.
Related References: 2016 Delaware Primary Election Story, 2016 Delaware General Election Story, 2020 Delaware Primary Election Story, 2020 Delaware General Election Story, 2012 Delaware General Election Story