A head to head comparison of the 2008 Kansas General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
John McCain received 699,655 (57%) votes, beating Barack Obama who gained 514,765 (42%) by 184,890 votes in Kansas.
John McCain won 102 counties whereas Barack Obama won 3 counties in the total of the 105 counties in the State of Kansas.
2008 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by Kansas (KS)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2008 General elections, over 131M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 69,448,278 (69.4 Million) over John McCain's 61,739,059 (61.7 Million). He won the popular vote by 7,709,219 (7.7 Million). Even though he lost to John McCain in the State of Kansas, his 514,765 votes represents 0.7% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.3% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the largest counties (Johnson, Sedgwick, Shawnee, Wyandotte), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Johnson, Sedgwick and Shawnee, three of the larger counties, voted in favor of John McCain giving him a 50k vote advantage. Wyandotte and Douglas, another larger counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 39k vote advantage. However, John McCain's steady marginal wins in the less popular counties were enough to maintain that lead over Barack Obama, making him gain an upper hand in the State of Kansas.
Related References: 2016 Kansas Primary Election Story, 2016 Kansas General Election Story, 2020 Kansas Primary Election Story, 2020 Kansas General Election Story, 2012 Kansas General Election Story