A head to head comparison of the 2008 Wyoming General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.    

John McCain received 164,958 (64.5%) votes, beating Barack Obama who gained 82,868 (32.5%) by 82,090 votes in Wyoming.

John McCain won 21 counties whereas Barack Obama won 2 counties in the total of the 23 counties in the State of Wyoming.

Presidential General Elections

During the 2008 General elections, over 131M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 69,448,278 (69.4 Million) over John McCain's 61,739,059 (61.7 Million). He won the popular vote by 7,709,219 (7.7 Million). Even though he lost to John McCain in the State of Wyoming, his 76,741 votes represents 0.1% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.9% popular votes victory.

Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections

All Candidates (General Elections)

These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the largest counties (Laramie, Natrona, Fremont, Albany), it is still possible for other candidates to catch up, given the amount of large counties of similar size.

Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections

General Elections
Barack Obama

General Elections
John McCain

Albany, Teton, two of the Smaller counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 3.6k vote advantage. Laramie, Natrona, Fremont, are larger counties, voted in favor of John McCain giving him a 25k vote advantage. However, John McCain's steady marginal wins in the more popular counties were enough to maintain that lead, making him gain an upper hand in the State of Wyoming.

Related References: 2016 Wyoming Primary Election Story, 2016 Wyoming General Election Story, 2020 Wyoming Primary Election Story, 2020 Wyoming General Election Story, 2012 Wyoming General Election Story