A head to head comparison of the Arkansas 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Mitt Romney received 644,784 (62%) votes, beating Barack Obama who gained 392,401 (37%) by 252,383 votes in Arkansas.
Mitt Romney won 66 counties whereas Barack Obama won 9 counties in the total of the 75 counties in the State of Arkansas.
2012 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Arkansas (AR)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). Even though he lost to Mitt Romney in the State of Arkansas, his 392,401 gained votes represents 0.6% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.4% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Pulaski, Benton, Washington), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Pulaski, the largest county, voted in favor of Obama giving him a 19k vote advantage. Benton and Washington, other larger counties voted in favor of Romney giving him a 43k voter advantage in those counties. However, Romney's steady win in the less dense counties was enough to maintain the advantage, making him gain an upper hand in the State of Arkansas.
Related References: 2016 Arkansas Primary Election Story, 2016 Arkansas General Election Story, 2020 Arkansas Primary Election Story, 2020 Arkansas Genral Election Story