A head to head comparison of the Kansas 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Mitt Romney received 678,719 (61%) votes, beating Barack Obama who gained 427,918 (39%) by 250,801 votes in Kansas.
Mitt Romney won 103 counties whereas Barack Obama won 2 counties in the total of the 105 counties in the State of Kansas.
2012 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by Kansas (KS)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). Even though he lost to Mitt Romney in the State of Kansas, his 427,918 gained votes represents 0.7% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.3% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Johnson, Sedgwick, Shawnee), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Johnson, Shawnee and Sedgwick, three of the larger counties, voted in favor of Mitt Romney giving him a 84k vote advantage. However, Mitt Romney's steady win in the less dense counties was enough to maintain that difference, making him gain an upper hand in the State of Kansas.
Related References: 2016 Kansas Primary Election Story, 2016 Kansas General Election Story, 2020 Kansas Primary Election Story, 2020 Kansas General Election Story