A head to head comparison of the Kentucky 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Mitt Romney received 1,087,130 (61.5%) votes, beating Barack Obama who gained 679,340 (38.5%) by 407,790 votes in Kentucky.
Mitt Romney won 116 counties whereas Barack Obama won 4 counties in the total of the 120 counties in the State of Kentucky.
2012 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by Kentucky (KY)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). Even though he lost to Mitt Romney in the State of Kentucky, his 679,340 gained votes represents 1.1% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 98.9% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Jefferson, Fayette, Kenton), it is still possible for other candidates to catch up, given the amount of counties that are there in the State of Kentucky.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Jefferson and Fayette, two of the larger counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 139k vote advantage. However, Mitt Romney's steady win in all the other counties was enough to overcome that deficit, making him gain an upper hand in the State of Kentucky.
Related References: 2016 Kentucky Primary Election Story, 2016 Kentucky General Election Story, 2020 Kentucky Primary Election Story, 2020 Kentucky General Election Story