A head to head comparison of the Mississippi 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Mitt Romney received 674,302 (56%) votes, beating Barack Obama who gained 528,260 (44%) by 146,042 votes in Mississippi.
Mitt Romney won 52 counties whereas Barack Obama won 30 counties in the total of the 82 counties in the State of Mississippi.
2012 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by Mississippi (MS)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). Even though he lost to Mitt Romney in the State of Mississippi, his 528,260 gained votes represents 0.8% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.2% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Hinds, DeSoto, Harrison, Rankin), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Hinds, the largest county, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 44k vote advantage. DeSoto, Harrison and Rankin, some other larger counties voted in favor of Mitt Romney giving him a 69k voter advantage in those counties. However, Romney's steady win in the less dense counties was enough to maintain that difference, making him gain an upper hand in the State of Mississippi.
Related References: 2016 Mississippi Primary Election Story, 2016 Mississippi General Election Story, 2020 Mississippi Primary Election Story, 2020 Mississippi General Election Story