A head to head comparison of the Nebraska 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.    

Mitt Romney received 462,972 (62%) votes, beating Barack Obama who gained 289,154 (38%) by 173,818 votes in Nebraska.

Mitt Romney won 92 counties whereas Barack Obama won 1 county in the total of the 93 counties in the State of Nebraska.

Presidential General Elections

During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). Even though he lost to Mitt Romney in the State of Nebraska, his 289,154 gained votes represents 0.5% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.5% popular votes victory.

Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections

All Candidates (General Elections)

These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Douglas, Lancaster, Sarpy), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.

Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections

General Elections
Barack Obama

General Elections
Mitt Romney

Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy, three of the larger counties, voted in favor of Mitt Romney giving him a 25k vote advantage. However, Romney's steady win in the less dense counties, and the fact that Barack Obama only won 1 county, was enough to maintain that difference, making him gain an upper hand in the State of Nebraska.

Related References: 2016 Nebraska Primary Election Story, 2016 Nebraska General Election Story, 2020 Nebraska Primary Election Story, 2020 Nebraska General Election Story