A head to head comparison of the New Jersey 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Barack Obama received 1,960,740 (59%) votes, beating Mitt Romney who gained 1,383,230 (41%) by 577,510 votes in New Jersey.
Barack Obama won 14 counties whereas Mitt Romney won 7 counties in the total of the 21 counties in the State of New Jersey.
2012 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by New Jersey (NJ)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). His victory in the State of New Jersey (with 1,960,740 votes) represents 3.0% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 97.0% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Bergen, Middlesex, Essex), it is still possible for other candidates to catch up, given the amount of large counties that are there in the State of New Jersey.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Bergen, Middlesex and Essex, three of the larger counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 271k vote advantage. Ocean and Morris, some other larger counties, voted in favor of Mitt Romney giving him a 66k voter advantage in those counties. However, Obama's steady win in the less dense counties was enough to maintain that difference, making him gain an upper hand in the State of New Jersey.