A head to head comparison of the New Mexico 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Barack Obama received 408,312 (53%) votes, beating Mitt Romney who gained 331,915 (43%) by 76.397 votes in New Mexico.
Barack Obama won 17 counties whereas Mitt Romney won 16 counties in the total of the 33 counties in the State of New Mexico.
2012 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by New Mexico (NM)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). His victory in the State of New Mexico (with represents 0.6% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.4% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Bernalillo, Santa Fe, Dona Ana, Sandoval), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Bernalillo, Santa Fe, Dona Ana and Sandoval, four of the larger counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 89k vote advantage. However, Obama's steady win in the less dense counties was enough to maintain that difference, making him gain an upper hand in the State of New Mexico.
Related References: 2016 New Mexico Primary Election Story, 2016 New Mexico General Election Story, 2020 New Mexico Primary Election Story, 2020 New Mexico General Election Story