A head to head comparison of the North Dakota 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Mitt Romney received 187,586 (60%) votes, beating Barack Obama who gained 124,490 (43%) by 63,096 votes in North Dakota.
Mitt Romney won 47 counties whereas Barack Obama won 6 counties in the total of the 53 counties in the State of North Dakota.
2012 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by North Dakota (ND)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). Even though he lost to Mitt Romney in the State of North Dakota, his 124,490 gained votes represents 0.2% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.8% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Cass, Burleigh, Grand Forks), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Cass, Burleigh and Grand Forks, three of the larger counties, voted in favor of Mitt Romney giving him a 16k vote advantage. However, Romney's steady win in the less dense counties was enough to maintain that difference, making him gain an upper hand in the State of North Dakota.
Related References: 2016 North Dakota Primary Election Story, 2016 North Dakota General Election Story, 2020 North Dakota Primary Election Story, 2020 North Dakota General Election Story