A head to head comparison of the Rhode Island 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Barack Obama received 274,342 (64%) votes, beating Mitt Romney who gained 155,355 (36%) by 118,987 votes in Rhode Island.
Barack Obama won 38 counties whereas Mitt Romney won 1 county in the total of the 39 counties in the State of Rhode Island.
2012 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by Rhode Island (RI)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). His victory in the State of Rhode Island (with 274,342 votes) represents 0.4% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.6% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Providence, Warwick, Cranston, Pawtucket), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Providence, Warwick, Cranston and Pawtucket, four of the larger counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 65k vote advantage. However, Obama's steady win in all but 1 county was enough to maintain that difference, making him gain an upper hand in the State of Rhode Island.
Related References: 2016 Rhode Island Primary Election Story, 2016 Rhode Island General Election Story, 2020 Rhode Island Primary Election Story, 2020 Rhode Island General Election Story