A head to head comparison of the Vermont 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.    

Barack Obama received 199,259 (68%) votes, beating Mitt Romney who gained 92,700 (32%) by 106,559 votes in Vermont.

Barack Obama won 244 counties whereas Mitt Romney won 2 counties in the total of the 246 counties in the State of Vermont.

Presidential General Elections

During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). His victory in the State of Vermont (with 199,259 votes) represents 0.3% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.7% popular votes victory.

Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections

All Candidates (General Elections)

These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Burlington, Essex, South Burlington), it is still possible for other candidates to catch up, given the vast amount of counties that are there in the State of Vermont.

Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections

General Elections
Barack Obama

General Elections
Mitt Romney

Burlington, Essex and South Burlington, three of the larger counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 18k vote advantage. However, Obama's steady win in all but 2 counties was enough to maintain that difference, making him gain an upper hand in the State of Vermont.

Related References: 2016 Vermont Primary Election Story, 2016 Vermont General Election Story, 2020 Vermont Primary Election Story, 2020 Vermont General Election Story