A head to head comparison of the Washington 2012 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.    

Barack Obama received 1,620,430 (57%) votes, beating Mitt Romney who gained 1,210,370 (43%) by 410,060 votes in Washington.

Mitt Romney won 23 counties whereas Barack Obama won 16 counties in the total of the 39 counties in the State of Washington.

Presidential General Elections

During the 2012 General elections, over 122M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 62,614,654 (62.6 Million) over Mitt Romney's 59,141,654 (59.1 Million). He won the popular vote by 3,472,979 (3.4 Million). His victory in the State of Washington (with 1,620,430 votes) represents 2.5% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 97.5% popular votes victory.

Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections

All Candidates (General Elections)

These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (King, Pierce, Snohomish, Spokane), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.

Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections

General Elections
Barack Obama

General Elections
Mitt Romney

King, Pierce, Snohomish and Spokane, four of the larger counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 425k vote advantage. However, steady marginal wins for Mitt Romney in the less popular counties were not enough to overcome that deficit, making Barack Obama gain an upper hand in the State of Minnesota.

Related References: 2016 Washington Primary Election Story, 2016 Wasington General Election Story, 2020 Washington Primary Election Story, 2020 Washington General Election Story