A head to head comparison of the Colorado 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Hillary Clinton received 1,338,870 (48%) votes beating Donald Trump who gained 1,202,484 (43%) by 136,386 votes in Colorado.
Donald Trump won 41 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 23 counties in the total of the 64 counties in the State of Colorado.
2016 Colorado (CO) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
Primary Counties won by each of the 3 major candidates
In the primary, Sanders won 51 counties. Clinton trailed behind with win over 12 counties with Trump winning nothing at the Primary. However, at the General Elections, Trump won 42 counties while Clinton won 22 counties.
2016 Colorado Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 47% increment for Donald Trump in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 47% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These margins are represented as 1,202,484 (1.20M)vote increment for Donald Trump and 1,289,556 (1.28M) vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Colorado
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes was casted. Hillary Clinton got 65,849,971 (65.8 Million) over Donald Trump’s 62,984,405 (62.9 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Her 48% win in the Colorado State (1,338,870 votes) represents a 2.0% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to her remaining 64,511,101 (98.0%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General Elections
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the seemingly bigger counties, it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
At the 2016 General Elections, these 15 counties in Colorado saw some preferential parities between the two candidates. Among these 15 influential counties, Hillary Clinton won 10 whereas Donald Trump saw victory in 5 counties. These relatively huge wins no doubt impacted the outcomes at the General Elections. For Clinton, win over Denver, Jefferson and Arapahoe. For Trump, wins over El Paso, Mesa, and Douglas. In the end, Clinton gain an upper hand in the State of Colorado
Related References: 2016 Colorado Primary Election Story, 2020 Colorado Primary Election Story