A head to head comparison of the Connecticut 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Hillary Clinton received 897,572 (55%) votes beating Donald Trump who gained 673,215 (41%) by 224,357 votes in Connecticut.
Hillary Clinton won 6 counties whereas Donald Trump won 2 counties in the total of the 8 counties in the state of Connecticut.
2016 Connecticut (CT) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
Primary Counties Won by Each of the 3 Major Candidates
In the tightly contested Primary, Sanders won 4 counties. Clinton won 3 counties with Trump winning the remaining 1 county. However, Clinton won 6 counties while Trump won the remaining 2 counties in the General Elections.
2016 Connecticut Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 1% increment for Donald Trump in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 1% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These margins are represented as 549,848 vote increment for Donald Trump and 727,497 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Connecticut
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 65,849,971 (65.8 Million) over Donald Trump’s 62,984,405 (62.9 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Her 57% win (897,572) at the Connecticut Primary represents 1.4% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 64,952,399 (98.6%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs General
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the biggest county, it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Huge wins for Clinton in the counties of Fairfield, Hartford and New Haven shot up her prospects in the General Election. This made Hillary Clinton gain an upper hand on the State of Connecticut. Marginal wins for Trump, such as over Windham, Litchfield, etc. contributed to an almost close run in the General Elections.