A head to head comparison of the Delaware 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Hillary Clinton received 235,603 (53%) votes beating Donald Trump who gained 185,127 (42%) by 50,476 votes in Delaware.
Donald Trump won 2 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 1 county in the total of the 3 counties in the state of Delaware.
Presidential General Election
In the Primary, Sanders won 16 counties in the 2-way match up. Trump trailed behind Trump winning 1 county in Delaware Primary.
2016 Delaware Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 1% increment for Donald Trump in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 1% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These margins are represented as 142,631 vote increment for Donald Trump and 179,631 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Delaware
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 78,627,508 (78.6 Million) over Donald Trump’s 74,549,817 (74.6 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Her 56% (235,581 votes) win at the State of Delaware Primary represents a 0.3% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to her remaining 78,391,927 (99.7%) popular votes victory.
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 3 counties play an important role in these primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the largest county (New Castle), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the other two counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 3 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Clinton only won New Castle and captured over 77k more votes than Trump. Although Trump won two counties, he did not have as many voters as Clinton. Winning New Castle county helped her gain an upper hand in the State of Delaware.
Related References: 2016 Delaware Primary Election Story, 2020 Delaware Primary Election Story