A head to head comparison of the Florida 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Donald Trump received 4,617,866 (49%) votes beating Hillary Clinton who gained 4,504,975 (47%) by 112,891 votes in Florida.
Donald Trump won 58 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 9 counties in the total of the 67 counties in the state of Florida.
Presidential General Election
In the Primary, Trump won 49 counties in the 3-way match up. Clinton trailed behind Trump winning 16 counties. Sanders won 2 counties in Florida Primary.
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 1% increment for Donald Trump in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 1% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These margins are represented as 3,540,665 vote increment for Donald Trump and 3,407,575 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Florida
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 78,627,508 (78.6 Million) over Donald Trump’s 74,549,817 (74.6 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Even though she lost at the Florida Primary, her 4,504,975 votes represents a 5.7% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 74,122,533 (94.3%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Miami-Dade and Broward, two of the larger counties voted in favor of Clinton, giving her over 582k vote advantage. Lee, Brevard and Polk, some other larger counties voted in favor of Trump giving him a 168k voter advantage in those counties. Trump's steady win in a lot of the less dense counties helped him gain an upper hand in the State of Florida.
Related References: 2016 Florida Primary Election Story, 2020 Florida Primary Election Story