A head to head comparison of the Idaho 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Donald Trump received 409,055 (59.2%) votes beating Hillary Clinton who gained 189,765 (27.5%) by 219,290 votes in Idaho.
Donald Trump won 42 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 2 counties in the total of the 44 counties in the state of Idaho.
2016 Idaho (ID) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the primary, Trump won 12 counties in a 2-way match up. However, on a head to head match up, Hillary Clinton won 2 counties and Donald Trump won 42 counties.
2016 Idaho Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 24.2% increment for Hillary Clinton in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 24.2% decrease for Donald Trump. These margins are represented as 346,577 vote decrease for Donald Trump and 184,700 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Idaho
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 65,849,971 (65.8 Million) over Donald Trump’s 62,984,405 (62.9 Million). She won the popular vote by 2,865,566 (2.8 Million). Even though she lost to Trump, her 189,765 votes represents a 0.3% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to her remaining 65,660,206 (99.7%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority (like Donald Trump) in the biggest county (Ada – 2 the size of Canyon and Kootenai), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Ada, Canyon and Kootenai which are the biggest counties voted in favour of Donald Trump giving him a 76,329 vote advantage out of those counties. Other counties such as Bannock, Bonneville, Twin Falls, Bonner, Bigham and Jerome gave Trump additional thousands of vote advantages. Clinton’s win over Latah, Blaine and Nez Perce gave her small winning margins. This made Donald Trump gain an upper hand on Idaho.