A head to head comparison of the Illinois 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Hillary Clinton received 3,090,729 (55%) votes beating Donald Trump who gained 2,145,015 (38%) by 945,714 votes in Illinois.
Donald Trump won 90 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 12 counties in the total of the 102 counties in the state of Illinois.
2016 Illinois (IL) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the primary, Trump won 61 counties in the 4-way match up. Clinton trailed behind Sanders with 6 counties. Cruz and Sanders won 19 and 16 counties respectively in Illinois Primary.
2016 Illinois Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 6% increment for Donald Trump in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 6% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These margins are represented as 1,589,099 vote increment for Donald Trump and 2,073,723 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Illinois
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 78,627,508 (78.6 Million) over Donald Trump’s 74,549,817 (74.6 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Her win (with 3,090,729 votes) in the State of Illinois represents a 3.9% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to her remaining 75,536,779 (96.1%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the largest county (Cook), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Cook, which is the biggest county voted very favorably for Clinton, giving her a 1.1M vote advantage out of that county. Winning many other important counties, including DuPage, Lake and Will made Clinton gain an upper hand on Illinois.