A head to head comparison of the Indiana 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Donald Trump received 1,557,286 (57%) votes beating Hillary Clinton who gained 1,033,126 (38%) by 524,160 votes in Indiana.
Donald Trump won 88 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 4 counties in the total of the 92 counties in the state of Indiana.
2016 Indiana (IN) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the Primary, Sanders won 1 county. Trump won 84 counties and Clinton won 2 counties . However, in the General Election, Trump won 88 counties while Clinton only won 4 counties in the state of Indiana.
2016 Indiana Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 5.9% increment for Hillary Clinton in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 5.9% decrease for Donald Trump. These margins are represented as 966,826 vote increment for Donald Trump and 729,744 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Indiana
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 65,849,971 (65.8 Million over Donald Trump’s 62,984,405 (62.9 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Even though she lost to Trump at Indiana, her 1,033,126 votes represents a 1.6% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to her remaining 64,816,845 (98.4%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General Elections
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority (like Hillary Clinton) in the biggest county (Marion– a slightly bigger county as compared to Lake and Hamilton), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Marion and Lake which are the biggest counties voted in favour of Hillary Clinton giving her a 123,779 vote advantage out of those counties. Other stronghold counties such as Allen and Hamilton, voted in favour of Trump, giving him a 58,664 vote advantage. Despite Trump’s marginal wins over Hancok, Clark, Tppercanoe, Madson, Porter, Vanderburgh, etc. Clinton’s huge win in the biggest counties made her gain an upper hand on the State of Indiana.