A head to head comparison of the Louisiana 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Donald Trump received 1,178,638 (58%) votes beating Hillary Clinton who gained 780,154 (38%) by 399,103 votes in Louisiana.
Donald Trump won 54 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 10 counties in the total of the 64 counties in the State of Louisiana.
2016 Louisiana (LA) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the Primary, Clinton won 48 counties in the 3-way match up. Trump trailed behind Clinton winning 12 counties. Cruz won 4 counties in Louisiana Primary.
2016 Louisiana Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 24% increment for Donald Trump in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 24% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These margins are represented as 1,053,820 vote increment for Donald Trump and 558,539 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Louisiana
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 78,627,508 (78.6 Million) over Donald Trump’s 74,549,817 (74.6 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Even though she lost to Trump at Louisiana, her 780,154 votes represents a 1.0% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.0% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General Elections
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these primary elections. Even if a candidate does not achieve a sizable majority in one of the larger counties (East Baton Rouge, Jefferson, Orleans), they can still take the lead by capturing very large minorities in several counties.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Orleans and East Baton Rouge, two of the largest counties gave her over 127k vote advantage. On the other hand, Trump’s steady win margins many other counties such as Jefferson, St. Tammany, Lafayette and Calcasieu gave him a 152k vote advantage. This surpasses Clinton’s gained vote advantage, thus making Trump gain an upper hand on Louisiana.
Related References: 2016 Louisiana Primary Election Story, 2020 Louisiana Primary Election Story