A head to head comparison of the Maine 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Hillary Clinton received 357,735 (48%) votes beating Donald Trump who gained 335,593 (45%) by 22,142 votes in Maine.
Donald Trump won 9 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 7 counties in the total of the 16 counties in the State of Maine.
2016 Maine (ME) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the Primary, Sanders won 16 counties in the 4-way match up. Trump trailed behind Cruz winning 2 counties. Cruz won 14 counties with Clinton winning nothing in Maine Primary.
2016 Maine Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 35% increment for Hillary Clinton in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 35% decrease for Donald Trump. These margins are represented as 329,523 vote increment for Donald Trump and 356,503 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Maine
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
During the 2016 General elections, over 146,434,269 total number of votes were cast. Hillary Clinton got 65,849,971 (65.8 Million) over Donald Trump's 62,984,405 (62.9 Million). She won the popular vote by 2,865,566 (2.8 Million). Her win in Maine (356,503 votes) represents 0.5% of her popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to her the remaining 99.5% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Cumberland, York and Penobscot), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Cumberland and York, two of the larger counties voted in favor of Clinton, giving her over 50k vote advantage. Penobscot, another larger county voted in favor of Trump giving him a 9k voter advantage in that county. However, Hillary's steady win in the more dense counties contributed to the 22K marginal vote advantage that helped her gain an upper hand in the State of Maine.
Related References: 2016 Maine Primary Election Story, 2020 Maine Primary Election Story