A head to head comparison of the Maryland 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Hillary Clinton received 1,677,928 (60%) votes beating Donald Trump who gained 943,169 (34%) by 734,759 votes in Maryland.
Donald Trump won 17 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 7 counties in the total of the 24 counties in the State of Maryland.
2016 Maryland (MD) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the Primary, Sanders won 0 counties in the 3-way match up. Clinton trailed behind Trump winning 8 counties. Trump won 16 counties out of the State of Maryland. However, in the General election, Trump won 17 counties while Clinton won 7 counties.
2016 Maryland Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 5.3% increment for Donald Trump in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 5.3% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These margins are represented as 706,546 vote increment for Donald Trump and 1,144,681 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Maryland
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 65,849,971 (65.8 Million) over Donald Trump’s 62,984,405 (62.9 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Her win at Maryland (1,677,928 votes), represents a 2.5% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to her remaining 64,172,043 (97.5%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority (like Hillary Clinton) in the larger counties (Prince George’s, Montgomery and Baltimore), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Prince George’s, Montgomery, Baltimore and Baltimore City which are the largest counties voted massively in favor of Hillary Clinton giving her a 725,377 vote advantage out of those counties. Aside these, her wins in other counties such as Anne Arundel, Howard and Charles gave her additional vote advantage. On the other hand, Trump’s steady win margins in counties such as Harford, Frederick, Carroll, Washington, Cecil, St. Mary’s and Wicomico gave him a 116,503 vote advantage, nothing close to Clinton’s win. This made Hillary Clinton gain an upper hand on Maryland.