A head to head comparison of the Massachusetts 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Hillary Clinton received 1,995,196 (60%) votes beating Donald Trump who gained 1,090,893 (33%) by 903,303 votes in Massachusetts.
Donald Trump won 0 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 14 counties in the total of the 14 counties in the State of Massachusetts.
2016 Massachusetts (MA) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the Primary, Sanders won 9 counties in the 3-way match up. Clinton trailed behind Sanders winning 5 counties, with Trump winning nothing in Massachusetts Primary.
2016 Massachusetts Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 1% increment for Donald Trump in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 1% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These margins are represented as 779,580 vote increment for Donald Trump and 1,391,412 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Massachusetts
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 78,627,508 (78.6 Million) over Donald Trump’s 74,549,817 (74.6 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Her win at Massachusetts (1,995,196 votes), represents a 2.5% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to her remaining 76,632,312 (97.5%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 14 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Middlesex, Essex, Norfolk and Worcester), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Middlesex, Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Worcester, some of the larger counties, voted in favour of Clinton, giving her a 1M vote advantage over Trump, with Trump not winning in a single county out of the top 14. This made her gain an upper hand on Massachusetts.
Related References: 2016 Massachusetts Primary Election Story, 2020 Massachusetts Primary Election Story