A head to head comparison of the Minnesota 2016 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Hillary Clinton received 1,367,825 votes beating Donald Trump who gained 1,323,232 by a massive 44,593 votes in Minnesota.
Donald Trump won 78 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 9 counties in the total of the 87 counties in the State of Minnesota.
2016 Minnesota (MN) Primary Election vs Presidential General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the Primary, Sanders won 1 counties in the 3-way match up. Trump and Clinton winning nothing in Minnesota Primary.
2016 Minnesota (MN) Presidential Primary vs Presidential General Elections w.r.t % Votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 24% increment for Hillary Clinton in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 24% decrease for Donald Trump. These margins are represented as 1,299,214 vote increment for Donald Trump and 1,294,315 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
Clinton's Popular Vote Victory Contributed by Minnesota (MN) at the 2016 General Elections
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
During the 2016 General elections, over 146,434,269 total number of votes were cast. Hillary Clinton got 65,849,971 (65.8 Million) over Donald Trump's 62,984,405 (62.9 Million). She won the popular vote by 2,865,566 (2.8 Million). Her win in Minnesota represents 2% of her popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to her the remaining 98% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
Primary vs General
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Hennepin, Ramsey, Dakota), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Hennepin, Ramsey, Dakota, three of the larger counties voted in favor of Clinton, giving her over 700k vote advantage. Anoka, another larger countye voted in favor of Trump giving him a 17k voter advantage in that county. Clinton's steady win in the more dense counties contributed to the 45K marginal vote advantage that helped her gain an upper hand in the State of Minnesota.
Related References: 2016 Minnesota Primary Story, 2020 Minnesota Primary Story