A head to head comparison of the Montana 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Donald Trump received 279,240 (55%) votes beating Hillary Clinton who gained 177,709 (35%) by 101,531 votes in Montana.
Donald Trump won 50 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 6 counties in the total of the 56 counties in the State of Montana.
2016 Montana (MT) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the Primary, Trump won 52 counties in the 3-way match up, Sanders and Clinton trailed behind Trump winning 2 counties each in the State of Montana.
2016 Montana Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 6.3% increment for Hillary Clinton in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 6.3% decrease for Donald Trump. These margins are represented as 165,184 vote increment for Donald Trump and 122,515 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Montana
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 65,849,971 (65.8 Million) over Donald Trump’s 762,984,405 (62.9 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Her 177,709 votes gained in Montana represent a 0.3% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to her remaining 65,672,262 (99.7%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General Elections
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority, it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Yellowstone, Lewis and Clark, Flathead, Cascade, and Ravalli, voted in favour of Donald Trump giving him a 19,205 vote advantage out of those counties. Wins over other counties such as Lake, Lincoln, Park, Sanders, Fergus, Jefferson and Richland gave Trump additional voter advantages. On the other hand, Clinton’s win over Missoula and Silver Bow gave her a 11,334 vote advantage, a marginally lower advantage compared to that of Trump. This made Donald Trump gain an upper hand on Montana.
Related References: 2016 Montana Primary Election Story, 2020 Montana Primary Election Story