A head to head comparison of the New Mexico 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Hillary Clinton received 385,234 (48%) votes beating Donald Trump who gained 319,667 (40%) by 65,567 votes in New Mexico.
Donald Trump won 19 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 14 counties in the total of the 33 counties in the state of New Mexico.
2016 New Mexico (NM) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the primary, Trump won 16 counties. Clinton trailed behind Trump winning 15 counties in thwe New Mexico Primary.
2016 New Mexico Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 5% increment for Donald Trump in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 5% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These margins are represented as 246,137 vote increment for Donald Trump and 274,783 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by New Mexico
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 78,627,508 (78.6 Million) over Donald Trump’s 74,549,817 (74.6 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Her win with 385,234 votes at New Mexico represents a 0.5% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 78,242,274 (99.5%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General Elections
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the larger counties (Bernalillo and Santa Fe), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Bernalillo and Santa Fe, which are the biggest counties voted in favour of Hillary Clinton giving her a 71k vote advantage out of those counties.This made Hillary Clinton gain an upper hand on New Mexico.
Related References: 2016 New Mexico Primary Election Story, 2020 New Mexico Primary Election Story