A head to head comparison of the Ohio 2016 General Election gives an idea of the breakdown of the voters.
Donald Trump received 2,841,005 (51%) votes beating Hillary Clinton who gained 2,394,164 (43%) by 454,983 votes in Ohio.
Donald Trump won 80 counties whereas Hillary Clinton won 8 counties in the total of the 88 counties in the state of Ohio.
2016 Ohio (OH) Primary vs. General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the primary, Sanders won 2 counties. Clinton won 9 counties with Trump winning a massive 77 counties in the State of Ohio.
2016 Ohio Primary vs. General Elections with regards to Percentage (%) votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the Primary and General Elections, percentage (%) vote shift difference is a 2% increment for Donald Trump in the Presidential Elections as opposed to a 2% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These margins are represented as 2,113,420 vote increment for Donald Trump and 1,714,898 vote increment for Hillary Clinton at the General Elections.
2016 General Election Hillary Clinton Popular Vote Count Contributed by Ohio
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
In the 2016 General Elections, 153,177,325 total number of votes were casted. Hillary Clinton got 78,627,508 (78.6 Million) over Donald Trump’s 74,549,817 (74.6 Million). She won the popular vote by 4,077,691 (4 Million). Her 2,394,164 votes at Ohio represent a 3.0% of her overall popular votes count. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 76,233,344 (97.0%) popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary vs. General Elections
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in bigger counties (Cuyahoga, Franklin and Hamilton), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them. However, steady but well-paced margins in the medium-sized counties could also brew victory.
Top 15 Vote Comparisons in Primary vs. General Elections
Cuyahoga and Franklin, which are the largest counties voted in favour of Hillary Clinton giving her over 365K vote advantage out of those counties. On the other hand, steady but repeated win margins for Trump in counties like Montgomery, Butler, and Stark gave him a 80K vote advantage. Moreover, his wins other counties that did not make it to the top 15 counties that voted in favour of him got his margins running high. This made Donald Trump gain an upper hand on Ohio.
Related References: 2016 Ohio Primary Election Story, 2020 Ohio Primary Election Story