A head to head comparison of the Utah 2016 General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Donald Trump received 515,231 votes beating Hillary Clinton who gained 310,676 votes, by 204,555 votes in Utah.
Donald Trump won 27 counties out of the 29 counties that make up Utah. The record shows that Hillary Clinton won 2 counties.
2016 CA Primary Election vs Presidential General Elections Counties Won
Presidential General Election
In the Primary, Cruz won 26 counties in a 4 way match up. However, Sanders won 3 counties with Clinton and Trump winning nothing out of the state of Utah.
2016 CA Presidential Primary vs Presidential General Elections w.r.t % Votes and Total Votes Won
On a head to head count with the total votes between in Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump between the primary and general, % vote shift difference is 1% increase for Donald Trump and a 1% decrease for Hillary Clinton. These percentages are represented by a vote increment of 490,367 for Trump and 295,010 for Clinton at the Presidential General Elections.
Clinton's Popular Vote Victory Contributed by California at the 2016 General Elections
Presidential Primary Elections
Presidential General Elections
During the 2016 General elections, over 146,434,269 total number of votes were cast. Hillary Clinton got 65,849,971 (65.8 Million) over Donald Trump's 62,984,405 (62.9 Million). She won the popular vote by 2,865,566 (2.8 Million). Even though she lost the State of Utah, her 310,676 votes represents 0.5% of her popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to her the remaining 99.5% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (Primary Elections)
All Candidates (General Elections)
Primary vs General
These 15 counties play an important role in these primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the biggest counties (Salt Lake, Utah and Davis), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties with out voter out reach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Salt Lake, the largest county, gave Clinton over 37k vote advantage over Trump. On the other hand, Trump’s win at the other 2 largest counties (Utah and Davis) gave him over 107k vote advantage over Clinton. This surpasses Clinton’s gained vote advantage, not to mention he won many other counties, thus making him gain an upper hand on Utah.
Related References: 2016 Utah Primary Story