At a station close to Barcelona on Wednesday, a train collided with the rear of another, inflicting light injuries on more than 150 individuals, according to officials and Spain's Renfe rail operator.

The train was traveling extremely slowly when the incident happened just before 8:00 a.m. (0700 GMT), according to the SEM regional emergency services, and the majority of passengers suffered bumps and bruises.

39 of the 155 victims who had minor injuries were taken for additional testing to neighborhood clinics or hospitals, the SEM reported on Twitter.

One train "went into the rear of another" at about 7:50 in the morning at the Montcada I Reixac-Manresa station on the route leading into Barcelona, according to a representative for the state rail operator.

At Montcada station, which is about 10 kilometers (six miles) north of Barcelona, a halted train was struck by a moving train, according to a spokesman for the regional fire department.

People who were standing up fell over and sustained injuries even though the train was traveling "quite slowly" at the time of the collision, emergency services official Joan Carles Gomez told reporters there.

He claimed that none of the 155 people who have been evaluated are seriously injured.

There were numerous bruises and minor head injuries, but nothing major.

Gomez first stated that 14 individuals had been transported for additional care to rule out "any fractures," but the SEM later updated that number to 39 in a tweet.

The approaching train was already braking when the incident took place, according to Transport Minister Raquel Sanchez, who also announced that an investigation into the crash's cause had been launched.

Fortunately, she informed station reporters that "despite the magnitude of the tragedy, there were no significant casualties."

"Our trains run well, but occasionally mishaps or crashes like these can't be avoided." "We will without a doubt take the necessary action to ensure the proper operation of our trains if further research reveals that it is necessary."

Both lanes of rail traffic on the line were briefly suspended, and Renfe launched an investigation to determine what happened.